Tip 2: Know your buttons

What is a button? Well, of course you know the button that is on your sweater and you are familiar with the buttons that you press on your phone or computer, but that’s not what the focus of this post is.

In the world of getting to know your self, buttons are like “hot spots” that people can touch (figuratively, but not literally) that make you particularly mad or insecure (meaning uncertain, or worried) or scared or whatever you may feel when someone irritates you. Buttons are areas in your life that can “set you off.” They are topics or words or events to which you are sensitive but other people might not be. Pretty much everyone has a button or two or three or five.

Here’s an example:

If you hate it, really hate it, (super duper, might pop a gasket, flip a switch, go totally crazy kind of hate) when people don’t call when they say they will, that is a “button” for you. So when people don’t call you (when they say they would), they are “pushing your button.”

You get angry and annoyed, maybe even hurt, when the person doesn’t call. But why? Your friend, Jane, has no problem when someone forgets to call. But for you, well, it sends you into hyperspace.

What’s up? Maybe you feel a bit rejected? A little abandoned? When you were little did Mom say she would call or be there on time and then she didn’t? Did Dad say he would take you to the big game time and time again but then he just disappointed you? If this was the case, then you might end up feeling like you can’t trust people to do what they said they would. So any event in your life that triggers the feelings of disappointment and a lack of trust will be a “button.”

(Remember that this is just an example, but these buttons usually stem from some previous experience/s.)

When you figure out your buttons and from where they came, then you can control them rather than let them control you.

For example, you may think:

Ugh, Sally didn’t call me again when she said she would. Oh, wait, that’s a button for me. I’m going to ask her why before I get really upset. Just because she didn’t call doesn’t mean that she doesn’t like me. Then when I hear what she has to say, I’m going to let her know that it bugs me when she says she’s going to call and she doesn’t. That way, maybe she’ll be more careful while I try to be less sensitive.

If Sally is a good friend, then hopefully she’ll be more careful. But she might not be. Sally might just be an airhead about those things and if that’s the case, you can learn that her missed calls are about her and not about you (you won’t take it personally!). Telling Sally how you feel and talking yourself through the situation is an adaptive response to your button. What does adaptive mean? Well, That’s another post… if you need another example of a button, head to the next post. If you understand the concept of buttons already, skip it and head to the second post covering adaptive and maladaptive responses.

Post Question:

What’s your button?

Answer the post question here

Leave a Reply to WLK HS 2113 Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

What's being said

• WLKHS1216
    Posted at 15:30h, 01 March Reply

My button is when people don’t tell the truth, especially when it is about something that they know I won’t get mad at.

• WLKHS21111
    Posted at 15:29h, 01 March Reply

What sets me off is when someone is rude to me or is strait up just a mean person. This sets me off because i treat people right and when they dont do the same back i get mad.

Posted at 15:27h, 01 March Reply

My button is someone lying to me, that the biggest one. I believe lying is awful, and of course everyone does it. But a massive lie to me means you do not respect me enough, or trust me enough, to tel the truth.

• WLKHS 2121
    Posted at 15:26h, 01 March Reply

My button is when people say one thing to your face but say another thing behind your back or to a different person. When people do this, it makes me really angry with that person.

• WLK HS 2113
    Posted at 15:25h, 01 March Reply

My button is when someone says something extremely hurtful and takes it way too far. Otherwise nothing else really sets me off.

• WLKHS2122
    Posted at 15:24h, 01 March Reply

I probably do have buttons but I can not think of one.

Posted at 15:22h, 01 March Reply

My button is if someone says they are gonna call or text me or hangout with me and then never even call or answer back. I feel like that is a button to me because sometimes when someone told me they would call they just never did.

1 2 3 6